Friday, March 25, 2011

Locavore

As I said before, my initial reason for going vegan was for environmental reasons. I did am extensive research project on the greenhouse gases produced by the livestock industry and learned a lot about ruminant animal's enormous methane emissions.

However not all vegan diets are ecofriendly. Eating tropical fruits, and soy grown on slashed and burned rain forest may not be emitting greenhouse gases from livestock but the distance shipped, and the unsustainable land use are huge no-nos.

It was a painful revelation when I realized my diet had a large footprint because clementines coax me through the winter, but I knew I had to be a more responsible consumer.  From then on I decided to cut back, just one tropical fruit a month. So far it hasn't been too bad. I miss the clementines, and the winter fruit isn't the greatest.

I still don't know where my soy products are coming from. Silk is all grown in Canada and the US but my PC and Lick's brand meats I really don't have a clue about.

No comments:

Post a Comment